The History of Cherwell Laboratories
Founded in 1971 as a veterinary diagnostic laboratory, Cherwell Laboratories has evolved into a manufacturing and distribution company offering a fully integrated range of products for environmental monitoring, cleanroom bio-decontamination and validation of sterilisation processes.
Despite the changes and significant growth, we are proud of our origins and maintain a focus on supplying high quality products with excellent customer service.
‘It is very satisfying to see how the company has developed, although I would never have guessed the path it would follow back in 1971! I am very pleased it has matured into a stable and profitable enterprise with a stable customer base.’
2011 – 2016
- Steven Brimble appointed as new Quality Manager for Cherwell. Press Release: Company continues its emphasis on delivering quality environmental monitoring and cleanroom microbiology solutions
- Pharmig annual conference plays integral role in anniversary celebrations on Stand 9. Press Release: Cherwell Laboratories Celebrates 45th Anniversary
- Overall demand up by 15% with on-site calibrations showing most significant rise. Press Release: SAS Air Sampler Calibration service – demand continues to rise year-on-year
- Cherwell to offer expert insight in environmental monitoring and process validation to both NHS and industrial pharmaceutical manufacturers. Press Release: Microbiological EM Features in two National Conferences supported by Cherwell Laboratories
- Cherwell’s process validation & environmental monitoring product range on display at APDM training. Press Release: Aseptic Manufacturing Training Supported by Cherwell Laboratories
- New Irish Sales Specialist will be attending Irish Pharmig conference. Press Release: Cherwell increases commitment to pharmaceutical microbiology in Republi of Ireland
- Cherwell supports Pharmig PCT microbial risk event. Press Release
- New 2016 Redipor price list available on request. Press Release: New Redipor Prepared Media products to support customer needs
- Cherwell supports two microbiology events in Oxfordshire. Press Release
- Redipor prepared media to be supplied directly to customers in the Republic of Ireland. Press Release: Cherwell improve support for pharmaceutical microbiology in Republic of Ireland
- Cherwell highlights new cleanroom decontamination system at Pharmig. Press Release
- Cherwell boosts industrial microbiology expertise to enhance customer support. Press Release: Cherwell strengthens team with Microbiology Product Specialist appointment
- Cherwell publishes case study discussing key considerations when purchasing an active air sampler. Press Release: Portsmouth PMU selects Cherwell for quality and service in environmental monitoring
- Cherwell maintains focus on quality to meet customer expectations. Press Release: Cherwell appoints Harshad Joshi as new Quality Manager
- Cherwell launch refreshed website design offering easily accessible technical support for customers: Press Release
- Cherwell aids additional training opportunities for cleanroom bio-decontamination. Press Release: Reducing Risk from Bacterial Endospores in Aseptic Preparation Supported by Cherwell
- Cherwell appoints new Operations Director to focus on operational enhancements and maintenance of core values. Press Release: Cherwell Appoints Operations Director to Reinforce Manufacturing Expertise
- Cherwell launch new Dry Fog II System at Pharmig 2014. Press Release: Cherwell meets Cleanroom Microbiology and Decontamination Needs at Pharmig 2014
- Cherwell sign UK distribution agreement with Mar Cor Purification for cleanroom decontamination products. Press Release: New Bio-Decontamination Range Complements Cherwell’s Sterilisation Process Validation Products
- Additional Redipor distributors appointed to cover Spain & Denmark – contact details for Redipor Distributors.
- Expansion to Redipor cleanroom manufacturing suite completed. Press Release: Cherwell Opens Expanded Redipor Prepared Media Facility
- Synergy Health AST help their customers meet regulatory requirements more effectively through use of SAS Pinocchio compressed air & gas sampler. Press Release: Cherwell’s SAS Pinocchio Compressed Air Sampler Supports Synergy Health
- Following the completion of phase I of our cleanroom expansion and the addition of new automated packaging systems, phase II began. Initial works saw an extension to the plate filling area, followed by extended production support areas and new areas for bottled media production. Once completed, the new clean room facility will extend to over 950m2 and provide capacity for future demand from our ever increasing customer base. Press release: Redipor Success Drives Cherwell Cleanroom Expansion
- New ‘Microbiology Product Specialist’ joins the Cherwell team to enhance levels of customer support. Press release: Cherwell invests in industrial microbiology expertise
- The scope of our ISO Quality Management System is extended to include the distribution and sales of laboratory equipment and consumables. Our updated ISO certificate is available for download: ISO9001:2008 Certificate (Dated: 10/08/2012)
- Councillor Daniel Sames (Mayor of Bicester) officially opens Phase I of our cleanroom expansion, with Phase II scheduled for 2013. Press release: Cherwell expands cleanroom facilities for Redipor prepared media
- Cherwell Laboratories celebrates 40 years in business. Press release: Cherwell Laboratories celebrates 40th anniversary
- Cherwell secures the UK distributorship for Raven Laboratories’ and Apex Laboratories’ range of biological indicators. The addition of biological indicators to the existing range means we can now offer a fully integrated range of products for the validation of sterilisation processes. Press release: Cherwell Laboratories secures Raven biological indicators distributorship
- In response to customer requests for paper-free materials, Cherwell introduces paper-free labelling on all Redipor products. Press release: Cherwell Laboratories goes paper-free on Redipor products
- Plans to increase our facilities’ footprint to enable us to increase our manufacturing and warehousing capacity are announced. Press release: Cherwell Laboratories to open new facilities
1991 – 2010
- A UK distribution agreement is secured for the DataTrace range of self-contained, wireless, high precision data loggers which are used in critical manufacturing, quality control and validation processes. Press release: Cherwell secures distribution agreement for DataTrace wireless data loggers
- Bio Products Laboratory (BPL) enhances microbiological safety by installing a specially modified SAS Super Isolator system from Cherwell Laboratories. Press release: Cherwell further enhances microbiological safety at BPL.
- The scope of our ISO Quality Management System is extended to include the supply, service and calibration of SAS air samplers.
Our ISO Quality Management System is upgraded to the new 2008 version.
In response to the increasing use of vaporised hydrogen peroxide (VHP) decontamination methods, Cherwell develops and validates Barrier Pack, new gas impermeable packaging for the Redipor range of irradiated microbiological media.
Cherwell relocates to a new site in Bicester bringing the various elements of the business under one roof for the first time in 8 years. Designed and built from a clear site, the new facility provided improved manufacturing capabilities within a 5,000 sq. ft. cleanroom manufacturing suite.
Cherwell becomes one of the first UK based prepared media manufacturers to successfully achieve transition to the new ISO9001:2000 quality management standard.
- A new range of ‘MiniCub’ incubators is developed by Cherwell, the compact units for up to 20 dipslides or 30 petri dishes feature several design/construction enhancements on the previous Enkab Mini Incubator model.
- Due to increasing demand from business growth, Cherwell’s cleanroom manufacturing facilities at Churchill Road undergo further development and expansion.
Our Redipor prepared media manufacturing facility is registered to the ISO Quality Management System
Cherwell’s cleanroom, used to produce Redipor prepared media, was developed and expanded to keep up with business growth.
Cherwell develops the Multi-SAS microbial air sampling system with a major pharmaceutical manufacturer. The system is developed to allow higher numbers of samples to be taken whilst minimising the increase in staff costs.
Cherwell sees the construction of their first cleanroom on site at their unit in Churchill Road. This allowed production of Redipor prepared media to switch from a laboratory environment into a more controlled space.
1971 – 1990 (The Early Years)
The veterinary laboratory closes but the microbiology facility is retained to support the marketing of Redipor prepared media.
In response to customer requests for pre poured Contact plates for their air samplers, Cherwell Laboratories started the manufacture of Redipor prepared media. From these humble beginnings manufacturing hand filled contact plates in a small laboratory, a full range of prepared culture media products has developed.
Cherwell begin marketing the SAS environmental air sampler, a fairly unique battery powered, portable unit offering opportunities within new markets, particularly the pharmaceutical industry.
Appointed UK agent for Pool Bioanalysis Italiana (now PBI International) promoting and servicing a range of media preparation equipment for microbiology laboratories
Incorporated as a limited company
Cherwell approached to carry out analytical and advisory work for a company supplying liquid feed for cattle plus hay and silage analyses for another feed company.
Cherwell Laboratories founded on 1st November 1971 by Lawrence Whittard as a veterinary diagnostic laboratory. The company was originally based in temporary accommodation (a large greenhouse) before moving into purpose built facilities.
Newsletter Sign Up
Please complete the fields below:
- Pharmig’s Annual Conference – Culture …
- Environmental Monitoring (EM) and food …
- Festive food thoughts As we …
- 12th – 13th May 2017, ExCel London Cherwell …
- 27th April 2017, Stratford-upon-Avon We will be attending Pharmig’s Annual …
- 2nd March 2017, Dublin Cherwell Laboratories’ Sales Specialist, Ritchie …